Set Up Terms
You can define terms to improve business understanding and use of data.
As you are setting up a term, you can click the Guidance () icon to open the Guidance panel to view assistance. Refer to Guidance for more information.
To add a term:
Click the plus sign (Add) icon on the Home page.
- Select Term from the list box.
- On the asset details page, enter a Term name.
- Enter the Definition.
Click the Assigned To list box and select a person from the list, if needed.
- This person can add sponsors to the asset.
- When you assign a person to an asset, the assignee receives a notification by email, depending on their user settings.
NOTE: The term is a draft version in Candidate status after it has been saved. It must be sent for review before it can be published.
After you have completed defining the term, you must configure the custom workflow for the term. Refer to Work with Asset Versions and the Endorsement Workflow for more information.
NOTE: If you have permission to edit the asset, you can delete it, whether it has been published, is in review status, or is in draft status. All published versions and the draft version of the asset are deleted, and this action cannot be undone. To delete the asset, click the . . . menu and select Delete [Asset Type].
On the term’s detail page, you can do the following:
Mark the term as a Critical Data Element by clicking the toggle.
NOTE: When you mark a term as a Critical Data Element, you indicate that the asset has priority over other non-critical assets. This is for documentation purposes only.
- Provide more context for a term by completing the Additional Information field. For example, an explanation about why a term is considered a Critical Data Element can be provided.
- Create a relationship to an asset. Refer to Add a Relationship to an Asset for more information.
- Assign a category to a term. Refer to Apply Categories to Assets for more information.
- Add a sponsor
- Share the URL for the term
- Add Supporting Documentation to the term
- Comment on a term
- Use Bulk Update to Edit Assets
- Add a field to a term